This soup is definitely a favourite this time of year and couldn’t be easier. There are many variations and you can adjust this soup to suit your family. One of our lovely customers Vicki has created this soup for you all after some advice from our butchers. Cure the man in your life from ManFlu with this recipe.
Disclaimer: This soup may or may not be effective in curing Manflu. Deagon Bulk Meats takes no responsibility for continually whiney men who think they are so sick that they may possibly die. If whinging persists feed more soup. If whinging still persist add large amounts of alcohol to the soup before serving. If whinging still persist please consult your doctor.
1 whole fresh chicken (skin removed if you don’t want any fat in your soup)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 a Bunch Shallots (spring onions)
1/2 a Leek
fresh corn off the cob
any veg that you have in the fridge
1.Place whole chicken in a large pot along with chicken stock, salt, pepper, shallots and leek. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the meat falls of the bone. This should take around 45mins – 1 hour on a medium heat.
2. Remove and discard chicken bones from your soup.
3. Add your vegetables. You can use anything you have in the fridge. Things like peas and beans should be added roughly 10 mins before your soup is ready.
4. Bring your soup back to the boil and simmer on a low heat until your ready to serve. At this stage you can place your soup in the slow cooker if you wish.
5. Serve to your sick partner and hope for the best.
Hints and Tips –
- For chicken noodle soup, bring soup to the boil and add noodles 10 minutes before serving.
- For sweet corn soup stir in a tin of sweet corn when you add your vegetables.
- This soup can be put in the slow cooker and left to go all day on low. Yum!
- It’s best to put a lid on your soup after you have discarded the bones. This stops you soup from reducing to much and loosing its volume.
Thank you to Vicki for sharing her recipe!